Thursday, November 4, 2010

Changed by Relentless Pursuit: Part 1


Barren woman, desolate woman…wife deserted, rejected, widow, afflicted.  Pitiful, isn’t it?  There is something in all those names that belies hopelessness and fear. Each one of us, I’m pretty sure anyway, can identify with one or some of these at one time or another. As I recall some of our testimonies, these sure fit. But I am here to move us in, in the matchless name of our Savior, to see that these names need not describe us any longer. Hope and courage, Ladies!

“The Lord will call you back, as if you were a wife deserted and distressed in spirit; a wife who married young, only to be rejected, says your God.” Isaiah 54: 6. 
Do you see how intimately God sees our hearts and understands our emotions? Bewilderment…. Abandonment will be remedied by compassion’s Seeker. I don’t know why, but I have this vision of the Lord cupping my face in His warm strong hands, looking deeply into my eyes and heart and with comfort and compassion saying, “For a brief moment I abandoned you, but with deep compassion I will bring you back.  In a surge of anger, I hid my face from you for a moment but with everlasting kindness I will have compassion on you, says the Lord your Redeemer.  To me this is like the days of Noah, when I swore that the waters of Noah would never again cover the earth.  So now I have sworn not to be angry with you, never to rebuke you again.  Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed, says the Lord, who has compassion on you.” Vs 7-10
I think we need to look at the Lord’s discipline from the perspective that He is ALWAYS loving, ALWAYS  good, ALWAYS just. 

Have you ever had one of your kids throw a tantrum and refuse your correction?  Sometimes you just have to wrap your much stronger arms around them and hold them fiercely, waiting till they exhaust themselves, so they will hear and submit.  Sometimes you have to go a couple of rounds with them till they submit, but it is fruitful in the end.  God’s discipline is right and good.  He understands why we flail, and loves us despite the battering He might get from kicking legs and flailing arms and banging heads.  REALLY! 

I know you guys are busy so I want to make this post short.  It is the first half of what I've entitled, "Changed by Relentless Pursuit."  I promise the last of it on Monday.  It is so exciting!  I love you all so much! You don't know what it means to me to be here with you.


3 comments:

  1. I love the example of a parent wrapping their arms around a flailing child until, exhausted with their own will and efforts, they submit. My Father so desperately wants to give me His very best each day...and so often I settle for far less by choosing my own way. How comforting that He never changes...always loving and good. All that He is..He is all the time. The things which anger us reveal what it is that we value...and His anger with His children is because He fiercely desires an intimate relationship with us. How incomprehensible to me that He would love me so...and how grateful I am for His relentless pursuit of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a parent, I remember reading Dr Dobson's instructions, to discipline the child until they are sorry for what they have done. Not just to make then angry, but sorry. It makes so much sense. Then hug and love them afterwards. It is different for each child, in this case. I never gave up on my problem child and today he loves God with a sincere heart and is wonderful,(at the age of 46). Thank you Lord. Then it is freedom when the lesson is learned, wonderful freedom. Hope all is well with you Linda and others. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exhausting to struggle within God's arms. I didn't even know I was doing it for so many years. I desperately hope to begin to rest rather than resist.

    ReplyDelete