Monday, November 1, 2010

ALTARS

Last night, CBC had Trunk or Treat night in their parking lot.  I heard that 67 cars/vehicles were parked to greet the community and boy, did they ever come!  It was a blast, too.  I sat on the ground in my jammies to read bedtime stories to the littlest characters who would listen. Only a few could sit long enough for all that sugar overload. But oh, it was so darling…and hysterical too!  I got a fit of laughter to see the one little guy dressed as one of the Martians with three eyes from Toy Story.  Sheesh, he was so adorable!  I pray that all those CBCers showed Jesus to those families, and that some may come to ask questions in light of eternity for themselves and their kids.

Today’s post resumes the topic of hope and restoration in the New Testament and our part in it. It involves our choice in our response. Now, I realize the reluctance in our hearts to praise while everything in our guts and surroundings still looks impossible. “Are you kidding? I’m supposed to praise You, Lord, while… (you fill in the blank…) is happening to me every day? or for the hundredth time?  or while no one cares to help?

What looks too large for our God to control and overcome in our lives? Offer a sacrifice of praise in the face of the desolation and difficulty. The doxology in Rom 11: 33-36 (go ahead and get it out and read it) recalls the character of the Almighty and finally Paul exhorts in chapter 12:1,2, “in view of God’s mercy, offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God which is  your reasonable act of worship.”

Hebrews 13:5,6 reminds us that God will never leave us or forsake us, the Lord is our helper,  and in verses 12-14 that we have an accessible high priest that brings us hope.  Then comes the exhortation to, “therefore, continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise, the fruit of lips that confess his name and do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices, God is pleased.” Vs 15-16

It is a sacrifice to praise while we are called desolate; to burst into song while still barren. But God, “because of His great love to us, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up in Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.” Ephesians 2:4-7

I know it is hard.  That’s why it is called a sacrifice! But, when the emotions of fear, shame and humiliation of the desolate and barren; body, soul and spirit, are put aside, shame will be forgotten, reproach of widowhood will be no more. Praise and a life of worship, faith and walking in joy…they are our REASONABLE acts of sacrifice and worship with which God is pleased. Let's place that sacrifice of praise on the altars of our lives
BECAUSE….our Maker is our husband the Lord Almighty is his name, the Holy One of Israel is our Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth.  He knows and He is worthy.

4 comments:

  1. Altars... the thought of giving praise as a sacrifice when we are seeking God's ear to hear our cries is such a beautiful illistration. I never have really "heard" it put so clearly before and now I am having one of those "Did I really not know that moments", I mean I know it, but couldn't put it into words or make sense of it so clearly, so I thank you, Lisa. When I am in a desolate place and crying out to The Lord, I get so wrapped up in my own desperation, that I have to remind myself to give thanks and recognize my blessings and praise God before I recieve or inspite of recieving. This post was a great reminder to me on how to reach out and beyond myself in prayer.
    I am sometimes very shy about writing on here because I am still learning so much and I do not have the right words or terminology yet and fear that I sound as spiritually "green" as I really am. But here it goes (I will just be me, not trying to "sound" like anything else):

    Lord, I feel so overwhelmed by the blessings you have given me. I am so astonished that you gave your only son to save me. I did not deserve it. To be in despair after such a great gift seems selfish, so help me to to never forget what I owe you and to be thankful all my days despite my circumstances. I wish only to live a life that glorifies you and fell like a am flailing about as I try to do so, I hold up my soul to you and cling to your strength and grace. Remind me never to forget to utter your praise before and above all things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanders, I so greatly appreciate you sharing your prayer! It touches the heart. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is amazing beyond comprehension! Yep, you probably already know that - This past week (+) has been Romans 8 over and again for me. It seems that almost everything has taken me to a pertinent verse in Romans 8. The hope, and reasons for hope, that are within those verses just astound me and I love how I see them more clearly each time I get taken there - a definite source of joy and thanksgiving. All of Romans 8 (and maybe the entire Gospel) seems even clearer since the truths of Hebrews 12:2 were put on my heart the other day. The author and perfector of my faith was looking to the joy before him as he went to the cross! He set the example of what my faith should look like. He looked past the excrutiating pain and shame of crucifixion to the JOY! (that gives me HOPE!) Yep, one of those moments where I too say, I knew that, just not with such clarity.

    I praise God that he led me to Hebrews 12:2 before leading me to 12:1 the next day... any time I see the perseverence required to overcome some of our sins and challenges, it can be daunting. However, in perspective of the joy that Jesus was looking to, there is definitely a loving motivation despite the pain that I may perceive in my worldly circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrissy and Bambi,
    I am awash with wonder at how the Lord uses you guys in my life. He applies such balm to my ache, knowing that you continue taking steps toward the Master despite obstacles and fear. You go, Girls!

    ReplyDelete