Monday, December 6, 2010

STEP BACK FROM THE GLASS

Such a wonder is happening in the life of our assembly at this time in history.  I am not quite sure I have in times past heard of so many small groups discipling one another.  From the youth on up to the leadership of the assembly, believer on believer investment seems to be yielding a fruit unlike anything I’ve seen in a long time.

Yesterday, as Jamie Miller was chronicling his family’s last five years of ministry in Latin America, I do believe the message was brought from God Himself, encouraging us to “step back from the glass and stop fogging it up” so we can see the bigger picture of God’s epic purpose for us—to bring Him glory.  Circumstance begs us to react, retract and even rebel, but when we see what God is doing in the broad picture of His will, we are satisfied in our souls with His greater Good and Love.

Our assembly reaped much benefit in the hearing of Millers’ testimony.  It ignited in me and those with whom I had the chance to interact with last evening, including my own kids, a fire to live boldly and intentionally for the Lord. Pursue others for God’s glory.  Walk along side others who are needy and bring them hope in the Lord Jesus. Put aside risk and do the thing.

I’ve been studying Psalm 103 and was struck with verse 5 which states this: “(the Lord) satisfies your mouth with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.” Being satisfied in our souls (this is actually what the word mouth seems to mean as I understand some of the references), our crowning ornament which bears the likeness of God, renews us! Praising God, glorifying God, magnifying God, restores the newness and joy of our salvation.  Millers' testimony, for God’s glory, has done that for me and apparently, so many others. I don’t know about you, but I’m going to run with it! Come on, come along with me and let’s run together!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Lisa for sharing this...There are times in our lives in which Satan tries to use our circumstances to "slow us down." When Moses went to Pharoh to ask him to let God's people go, Pharoh was offended and decided to make the Israelites not only produce a certain amount of bricks, but now he made them collect there own straw for them! This is one of Satan's best tactics. He makes us busy...overworked...exhausted...angry...focused on ourselves. Perhaps we do need a season to regroup and refresh...and heal. But there is a time when we must get back up and with the joy he has comforted us with...pursue the lost...share what God has done. Let us not get "stuck" in a pattern of circumstance upon circumstance...reasons why we "can't." With God all things are possible. Thank you Lisa for the call to run!!!! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acts 2:40-47...
    Lisa - as I read Psalm 103:5 in your post tonight, the light went on! Before I had even read further there was a connection because of the blessing of having just been in fellowship with two fine women tonight and having enjoyed worshipping God through our fellowship and discipling each other with God's Word. Suddenly the part about "satisfies your mouths with good things" was intensely associated for me with the idea of the renewing and refreshing sense that comes from sharing words with each other that are purposefully chosen to glorify God with each topic and keeping His Word as the basis of the truths in the conversations. It is renewing to the soul when the mouth is speaking in ways that worship and glorify God.

    As I was reading the posts, I thought I was drawn to Acts 2 because your post originally made me think of the discussions of Acts 2:42-47 that the Body Life Sunday School class had related to the power of such fellowship. When I looked at it further, I had to include Acts 2:40-41 because of the way it has come together with Jamie's messages on Sunday. I so do not want to be a child of our times when I look at what is being said of this generation by men such as Piper! So, I note that Acts 2:40, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation", is followed with an example of how to do that through the fellowship of believers. I am praying for the Body (I almost said CBC, but I need to remember to include all believers - like my beautiful friend Natalie Brown - who are with us in this ship) so that we can stop fogging up the glass and can use our mouths for words that satisfy through thankfully glorifying our King and encouraging each other to "run".

    We cannot all run to Venezuela with the Miller's (although I for one would love to), but we can pay attention to the fact that God is calling each of us to a path that He has chosen - Jeremiah 10:23 was the verse that I started my day with today! ("I know, O Lord, that a man's life is not his own, it is not for man to direct his steps.") And then I came to comments by George Mueller quoted in today's Streams in the Desert, "In July 1829 it pleased God to reveal to my heart the truth regarding the return of the Lord Jesus and to show me that I had made a great mistake by sitting back and watching for the complete conversion of the world. It produced the following effect on me: Deep within my soul, I was moved to feel compassion for perishing sinners and for a world lulled to sleep by the wicked Enemy. And I began to think, 'Should I not do whatever I can for the Lord Jesus and try to awake His slumbering church before He returns?'".
    As “Mary Did You Know” was being played before Communion on Sunday, no surprise that I couldn’t remember the words, but my heart knows what Jesus did and I am reminded just with the music playing. As I fellowship with other believers as a result of being in fellowship with God, I find that I cannot help but talk about Jesus to non-believers as well. Psalm 16 is on my heart today… I will not be shaken.

    ReplyDelete