Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Part 2

There are abundant imperatives in God’s Word on Christian living… put to death the sinful nature..reckon yourselves dead to sin and alive to Christ. (Rom 6)  Col.2:23 talks about regulations doing nothing to quench sensual indulgence. But it does go right to the next verses in chapter 3 saying to set minds and hearts on things above where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.  Then a few verses later, “put to death….we must get rid of all such things as these…..” Even further,  ”clothe yourself with compassion, kindness….”

What do I allow God to do, what do I strive to do?  In Romans 7 Paul rants about the struggle to do what he ought but cannot amidst the war in his soul. Flesh against the spirit; spirit against the flesh. My dilemma is that as soon as I have a regulation, I want to break it!  That’s my ugly truth!

Romans 8:13 “…but if by the spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body you will live, because those who are lead by the spirit of God are sons of God.”

I cannot do it!  It must be by the spirit…how can I do any of the imperatives?  BY THE SPIRIT. 

What is pursuit of walking in the spirit?  “I cannot do it. I’ve tried a zillion times! I can’t do it. You do it, Lord.”

There needs to be a rest from this struggle. It can burn a believer out trying to do and do and do in their own strength. God’s answer to my struggle is free of condemnation, free from the law of sin and death in the sending of His Son, Jesus to be a sin offering for me. My salvation is secure and my day to day walk is witnessed and can be governed by the Holy Spirit. It’s by the Spirit I can put to death the misdeeds of my body. His fruit “is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” (Galatians 5:22-23)

What then, will motivate my desire to walk in the Spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment