Friday, December 17, 2010

LIVING ROOM BALM

Last night I had the immense pleasure of witnessing the God-ordained order of discipleship.  My heart has become impassioned to see mothers, young and old, walk in the fullness of their ministries within their homes.  It just so happens that the group in my home last night are all wives, too.  Some have great marriages, some mediocre marriages and, I have to admit, some have marriages that are on their way to the pits.  Some are even in the pits! The marriages vary in length from 4 weeks to nearly 40 years! What a fertile ground for discipleship these women offer. The Holy Spirit has brought so much change in their lives. 

We were studying the subject of meekness which emerged from a serious look at the attitude and actions of a godly wife in 1 Peter 2 and 3.  Meekness and a quiet spirit, which are of surpassing value to God, are the marks of beauty of that godly wife. The behavior springing forth from her attitude wins over the misunderstanding or unbelieving husband.  It is a tall order for a woman to live in this way.  In fact, the meekness God desires to see in a wife is not of human will but none other than part of the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Galatians 5:23. 

Knowing this, there was discussion about the difficulty and suffering some must endure while walking in the Holy Spirit’s power.  Parts of the discussion were focused on these topics:

  • ·        Being offended by unfaithfulness is a HUGE issue to deal with.  Add this to an already poor relationship/walk with the Lord, it could be a long haul till there is healing and forgiveness.
  • ·        We CAN gently and lovingly point out to our husband how their over-control or even lack of leadership hurts us, but WE cannot make him change.  We can only change ourselves.
  • ·        Dealing with sin in a Matthew 18 order, still doesn’t change a person.  WE fulfill our obligation, but allow the Holy Spirit full reign as HE is the convictor and restorer.
  • ·        I wonder if we would see more miraculous or supernatural results in our pleading with God if we left the end of a thing, the beginning and the middle too, to God’s Holy Spirit to work.  Meanwhile, we keep on obeying and loving God and wait to see God’s Hand--- like Moses said to the Children of Israel as they faced the Red Sea in one direction and the Egyptian army in the other,  before the Lord parted it…”Do not be afraid.  Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today.  The Egyptians (adversary) you see today you will never see again.  The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Ex 14:13-15.

God is clearly possessing the hearts of these dear ladies. They are doing the hard work of believing God’s Word for their marriages and their own attitude and behavior.  Then, what to my amazement should I witness here in my living room, but a turning of one of the younger in the Lord to another even younger in a discipleship posture to come alongside and encourage and teach from the platform of lessons learned in this walk of faith! I tell you what… I was jumping out of my chair, literally! Life on life mentoring, discipleship and fellowship that is taught in books is happening right here!  I still feel the wonder of it.

 The work of the hand and heart of the Almighty reached down from one woman to the other in love and offered the direction for healing.  “And they shall be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor.” Isaiah 61:3  I am a witness of that display. It was glorious. More powerful a balm than ever I have seen. 

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your posts. I may not comment, but I read and ponder. Thanks, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try to post again. First time, not successful. A few years ago, during a quiet time, I was talking with God about some disappointments in my life. My disappointment with circumstances and people that I loved very much. How could I "fix" them? As I sat there quietly it was almost as He whispered, "better for me to convict than for you to convince." I felt a HUGE weight lifted. Hands off since that day. I will pray for loved ones and situations, but it is "not my job" to "FIX" it. Exhale. Whew. That was a "FREEING" moment for me.

    ReplyDelete